- 100 gm butter/oil
- 100 gm flour
- 1 liter stock(chicken,veal,beef,mutton) as required
Method of Preparation
- Melt the butter or heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and mix it in.
- Cookout to a sandy texture over a gentle heat without coloring.
- Allow the roux to cool.
- Gradually add the boiling stock
- Stir until smooth and boiling.
- Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pass it through a fine conical strainer.
This is a basic sauce made from white stock and a blended roux.
A veloutè sauce for chicken or veal dish is usually finished with cream and, in some cases, egg yolks. The finished sauce should be a light consistency, barely coating the back of a spoon.
Make sure all the fat has been skimmed from the stock before adding it to the roux.
Click to see more…