- 50 g butter
- 100 g diced onion
- 100 g diced carrot
- 1 bunch of bouquet garni
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups stock
- 400 g can whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed (include the juice)
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Method of Preparation
- Melt the butter in a thicked-bottomed pan. Add garlic, onion, and carrot (mire-poix) and brown lightly.
- Mix in the flour and cook to a sandy texture.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the tomato puree.
- Return to heat. Gradually add the hot stock.
- Stir to the boil. Add the bouquet garni, season lightly, and sugar.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Skim when required.
- Remove the bouquet garni and mirepoix.
- Liquidise or pass firmly through a sieve, then through a conical strainer.
- Return to a clean pan, correct the seasoning and consistency. Bring to the boil.
- Check the seasoning and serve with croutons or toasted bread.
Serving Portion : 4
If a slightly sweet/sour flavour is required, reduce 100ml vinegar and 35 g caster sugar to a light caramel and mix into the completed soup.