- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed, sliced on the bias into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, brushed clean and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoons ginger minced
- 1 whole red chile
- 2 ounces/60 ml water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
Methods of Preparation
- Heat the wok on high heat and then add the oil. Cook whole chile and ajwain seeds until brown.
- Add mushrooms, stirring for 5 seconds, then asparagus, stirring for 15 seconds, then ginger and garlic.
- Fry for 5 seconds, then add 1 ounce of water, followed by cumin and salt. After two minutes, add the remaining water.
- Continue to stir-fry until the asparagus is tender, about 3 minutes. Do not allow to dry out. Sprinkle on water as needed.
- Finish with lemon juice and serve.
Serves: 4-6 people
Recipe By: Chef Bikram Vaidya (www.bikramvaidya.com)
Chef Instructor at Oregon Culinary Institute