- 900gm pork shoulder
- 1 bunch scallions, cut on the bias into ¼ inch pieces
- 4 inches ginger, grated into juice
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 whole roma tomatoes
- 8 whole chiles de Arbol
- 4 whole New Mexico chilies
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tablespoons mustard oil or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and stems, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Method of Preparation
- On a hot grill, place tomatoes cook it until charred on all sides. Let cool and remove skin. Quick roast all the chilies and garlic over flame. Do not allow to burn. Submerge in boiling water until soft.
- Remove chilis from water and place in blender with tomatoes and garlic. Blend until smooth, adding water for consistency if necessary, up to ¼ cup.
- Cut pork shoulder into slices about 11/2- inch wide and 4-6 inches long. Grill meat over high heat, turning until there are grill marks on all sides, and the meat is cooked through. Adjust flame as needed. Cut meat into 11/2 inch cubes. (Meat can also be cubed ahead of time and cooked on skewers if desired).
- Place in a bowl with ginger juice and 2 teaspoons of salt. Mix thoroughly and marinate for 10 minutes, covered with plastic wrap.
- Combine with chili mixture, scallions, cilantro, and meat. Mix well with your hands.
- Heat a sauté pan. Add oil and heat until smoking. Reduce the heat, then brown fenugreek until dark. Pour it into the meat and mix it. Adjust salt as needed. Marinate for 1/2 hour. Serve cold.