The importance of knives to chef cannot be overstated. It is the most important piece of equipment in the kitchen. Knives come in various shapes and sizes and each is meant for a specific use though some knives can be used as multi-purpose knives.©
There are many safety instructions which one must follow, to ensurelongevityofthe knives and to prevent any accident.
- Always handle knives carefully, especially when cleaning Anda sharpening.
- Never leave knives in a sink of water. This is bad for the blade and presents a safety hazar to anyone who puts his/her hands into the water.
- Always clean and wipe the knives dry before storing in a knife box. A knife box has a magnetic strip inside, on which the knives an be stuck and the same can be locked to ensure that there is control on the knives, as most of the knives are very expensive.©
- As a general rule, hold the knife away from the body.
- When carrying a knife in the kitchen, make sure the blade faces downward to avoid injury to self or to others.
- When cleaning a knife ensure that the cutting blade is facing way from your wiping hand. Always focus when handling your utensils.
- Do not attempt to catch a falling knife. Let it fall and get your feet out of the way. It is important to wear leather footwear for protection.
- Do not hide a knife under anything.
- Do not hand a knife to anyone else. Put it down on the table and let him/her pick it up.
- When a knife is placed down onto a bench, ensure that the blade is flat.
- Do not let knives hang over the table edge.
- When using a knife keep your mind and eye on the job.
- Use the right knife for right job.
- Always keep knives sharp. There is an old saying they ‘sharp knives cut vegetables and blunt knife cuts hand’.
- Always keep the handle free from any grease.©