Aloo, kerau ko achar is a typical Nepalese dish, which is passed from generation to generation. It carries a long history and it is that kind of dish which you can find prepared almost in all the Nepalese kitchen. A very humble dish prepared during a festival, social gathering, or as an accompaniment with a meal during lunch or dinner.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Portion Size: 2
- 120g boiled and diced potato
- 80g diced small cucumber
- 100g green peas
- Whole red chilli(Dalle) as required
- 3 g chopped fresh coriander
- 15g hog plum powder
- 10g toasted and powdered black sesame
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1nos lemon zest
- 4 g fenugreek seed
- 2g turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 25 ml of mustard oil
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
- Combine diced potato, cucumber, green pea in a mixing bowl.
- Place red chilli, hog plum powder, sesame seed powder, chilli powder & cumin powder at the centre of the mixture.
- Meanwhile, heat the mustard oil. Once it is hot enough, crackle the fenugreek seed.
- Make sure not to burn it otherwise, they turn bitter.
- Remove from the heat source and add turmeric powder.
- Pour the hot oil over the salad & spices mixture in order to temper it.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander.
- Grate 1 lemon zest, pour lemon juice.
- Season with salt and mix well. Adjust the seasoning & spiciness as required.
Recipe By: Chef Surya Mahat
Chef Surya Mahat is a passionate and self-driven chef currently based in Kathmandu. He has 6 years of international experience, working at reputed hotels in Qatar, Maldives. He worked as a Chef de partie at Intercontinental Doha in Qatar and currently working as a culinary instructor at the Academy of Culinary Arts, lagankhel, Nepal. He loves foraging, gathering food from the wild and enjoy cooking & creating a new fusion of tastes.