Kwati the term defines KWA – hot & TI- soup. It’s a great combination of nine different varieties of grains cooked when it’s sprouted with more than 12 spices and served hot. This soup is mostly eaten during Hindu festivals called Janai Purnima which in fact became a tradition & still followed. I have tried to show an easy method to prepare and accomplished to gather almost all the ingredients required for this recipe.
- 2 cups Mix beans-Black gram, Green gram, Chickpea, Field beans, Soya beans, Garden pea, Cowpea, mung beans & Rice beans, etc.
- Fenugreek seed (methi)- 1tsp
- Black Mustard seed – 1tsp
- Fennel seed – 1tsp
- Ajwain seed – 1tsp
- Cumin seed – 1tsp
- Tomatoes – 4pcs medium size
- Corriander powder – 1tsp
- Cumin powder – 1tsp
- Red chili powder – 1tsp
- Mustard oil – 5tbsp
- salt and pepper – to taste
- As a paste: 1 – Onion, 5 – garlic & 1 – ginger
Method of Preparation
- Take a medium size pressure cooker. Drizzle some Mustard oil, when oil is hot put all the seeds like Fennel, Cumin, ajwain, black Mustard seed & keep Fenugreek for tempering at last.
- When seeds are spluttering add the paste we made then saute till golden brown for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add all the mixed beans & saute well.
- Add the spices that we have such as Corriander powder, chili powder, Cumin powder, salt & pepper to taste then cook spices with beans for 6-7 minutes to bring spices smoky flavor.
- Then last not the least add your tomatoes cut into small dices and mix well for 5 minutes, add 6 cups of water then cover it & cook for 30 minutes in medium heat.
- When it’s done open the lid and for tempering take a pan with 3tbsp of Mustard oil, fry your Fenugreek on it, and pour all on top of your soup to sizzle.