- 350 chicken
- ¼ cup ghee
- 5 crushed green cardamom
- 1 inch crushed cinnamon stick
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 gm green chilies,
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp biryani masala (see below)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 & ¼ cups browned onions
- ¾ cup yogurt1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp screw pine (kewda) water
- 3 tbsp rose water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cream
- A generous pinch of saffron
- 2-inch ginger piece, cut into thin strips
- 1 sprig of fresh mint leaves
Whole wheat dough (atta) to seal
For The Rice:
- 2 cups Basmati rice, soaked
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 tbsp rose water
Method of Preparation
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the caraway seeds, cloves, green cardamom, and cinnamon and sauté till fragrant. Add the onions and sauté for five to seven minutes or until well-browned.
- Add the green chilies, ginger paste, garlic paste, and sauté for two minutes. Add the chicken, salt, and biryani masala and cook for five minutes
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, and red chili powder and cook for two to three minutes.
- Add half cup browned onions and mix well. Add the yogurt, half cup mint leaves, lemon juice, coriander leaves, kewda water, and two tablespoons rose water and mix well
- Meanwhile, to cook the rice, boil five cups of water with green cardamoms, black cardamoms, bay leaf, and cloves in a deep non-stick pan. Drain and add the rice and let it cook till half has done. Add the rose water and lemon juice and mix. Strain the rice and reserve the water.
- Spread the rice over the chicken evenly.
- Dissolve saffron in two tablespoons lukewarm water and add butter, cream, and three fourth cup of the reserved rice water and mix well. Drizzle this mixture over the rice.
- Sprinkle half cup mint leaves, half cup browned onions and ginger strips, and cover the pan with a well-fitting lid. Seal the edges with dough. Place the pan on a heated tawa and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Rest it for five minutes. Open the lid and sprinkle the remaining rose water and browned onions. Garnish with a mint leaves and serve hot.
Recipe By: Chef Prakash Katuwal, Executive Chef at Hotel Ichchha