A salad is a food served with a dressing that can be a cold dish or green vegetables or a mix of fruits or frozen mixture of food or chopped food. In India and Nepal it is generally prepared as mixture of certain fresh raw vegetables. Salads are prepared from raw or cooked vegetable, meats, fish, seafood, egg, poultry, cheese, pasta, fruits etc. Salad can be served as a first course in a small quantity. It can also be served as a salad course or as an accompaniment with the main dish or roast course. Salad should be chilled, crisp, piquant, and colorful.
Food historians can’t quite agree on the history and composition on chef’s salad much less who assembled the first one. some trace this salad’s roots to salmagundi, a popular meat and salad dish originating in 17th century England and popular in colonial America, other contend chef’s salad is a product of early twentieth century, originating in either New York or California. The person most often connected with the history of the salad is Louis Diat, chef of the Ritz Carlton in New York City during the 1940s. Place separately in a salad bowl equal amounts of chopped lettuce (place on the bottom of the bowl), boiled chicken, smoked ox tounge and smoked ham, all cut in julienne style, Add 1/2 hard -cooked egg for each portion. Place some watercress in the centre and serve with French dressing.
- 8cups salad greens, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1cup of ham, julienne strips
- 1cup of turkey, julienne strips
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup of swiss cheese, julienne strips
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, sliced
- 1/4 cup bacon bits, for garnish
- 8 ounces salad dressing, of your choice
- Prepare salad greens of your choice by washing and tearing them into bite sized pieces, place in a large bowl.
- Toss the greens with remaining ingredients, reserving some julienned pieces of meat, cheese and egg slices for garnish.
- Just before serving, toss with a dressing of your choice and garnish with strips of meat, cheese, and hard boiled egg slices.