Chatānmari is one of the most popular and delicious Newari food. Newa food is considered as one of the most popular food in Nepal along with being delicious. Food is an integral part of Newar culture. Different kinds of foods are prepared for different occasions, considering the climate and nutritional needs of the body. Newari cuisine consists of more popular foods in it of which Chatānmari are one of them.
Chatānmari (Nepal Bhasa: चतांमरि) is a kind of very thin pancake/crepe usually made from rice flour. It s regarded as a delicacy. It is eaten as a snack or an appetizer during Newari festivals and other special occasions. It is often referred to as a Newari Pizza. There are many varieties of Chatānmari like Egg Chatānmari, Keema Chatānmari, Mix Chatānmari and Plain Chatānmari.
It is used especially during ‘the guthi’ and ‘digu dya puja’ of newars and other Newari festivals such as MachindaNath Jatra, Panha Chahre, Ghya chaku sanhlu etc. When you make it for puja, it is just plain rice crepe with no toppings.
Ingredients for Mix Chatānmari
- 1 Cup of rice flour
- 100 ml water
- 100 gm buff/chicken keema (minced meat)
- 1 egg Sliced tomatoes
- Coriander leaves
- 1 full teaspoon cooking oil
- Salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, garlic and ginger paste, cumin powder as per taste
Method of Preparation
1. Take a mixing bowl with rice flour. Slowly add water and prepare a thin batter.
2. Take chicken keema in a separate bowl. Add salt, chili powder, cumin powder and ginger garlic paste and mix thoroughly.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan. Pour half a tablespoon of oil. Take the rice flour batter in a ladle and pour in the frying pan in the shape of a circle. And cook for 3 seconds.
4. Add buff/chicken keema on top of the pancake type base. Spread and level the keema while leaving a space in the center. Cook for around 5 minutes with lid on.
5. Carefully crack egg in the central space. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves and add sliced tomatoes.
6. Cook for around 3-4 minutes with lid on. chatamari is ready to serve!
Many restaurants and eateries in Kathamandu are serving chatanmari as the main item or appetizer on their menu. Source – Lachhi