A simple way to prepare one of the mother sauce ; Bèchamel Sauce
- 100 g butter/oil
- 100 gm plain white flour (AP flour)
- 1-liter warm milk
- 1 onion, studded with cloves
Method of Preparation
- Melt the butter or heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Mix the flour with a heatproof plastic spoon.
- Cook for a few minutes stirring frequently. As you are making a white roux, do not allow the mixture to color.
- Remove the pan from the heat to allow the roux to cool.
- Return the pan to the stove and over a low heat, gradually mix the milk into the roux.
- Add the studded onion.
- Allow the mixture to simmer gently for 3o minutes, trying frequently to make sure the sauce does not burn on the bottom.
- Remove the onion and pass the sauce through a conical strainer.
To prevent a skin from forming, brush the surface with melted butter. When ready to use, stir this into the sauce. Alternatively cover the sauce with greaseproof paper.