Eggplant Involtini is a classic home cooking recipe. Mainly it’s a wrap of eggplant stuffed with ricotta filling with herbs then nestled in tomato sauce and baked oven with some grated cheese. Pretty simple to understand the ingredients & most importantly it’s absolutely recommended to vegetarian people.
Oven-baked Eggplant Involtini-rolled slices of eggplant stuffed with ricotta and parmesan on salad di Pomodoro.
- Olive oil – 100ml
- Sliced eggplant – 250g
- Ricotta – 110g
- Spring onion(thinly sliced)-7g
- Salt & pepper – to taste
- Tomato sauce – 200g
- Parsley coarsely chop – 5g
- Parmesan grated(optional) – 30g
- Bechamel sauce – 20ml
- Basil pesto – 10ml
Methods of Preparation
- Fry the sliced eggplant in a pan with olive oil to a golden brown.
- Prepare a tray with paper towels to place the fried eggplant slices. Cool for 5-7min to remove from the oil.
- Prepare a ricotta filling while waiting for the eggplant to cool. In a mixing bowl, add the ricotta cheese, spring onion, parmesan, chop parsley & roasted eggplant flesh.
- Use the spoon to mix the ingredients altogether gently.
- Season the filling with salt & pepper.
- Take the eggplant slices, pit 35gms of filling on the bigger side of the eggplant & start rolling from the wide side.
- Take a serving pan for the dish and layer the bottom with tomato sauce. Here I took eggplant skin as my base for eggplant roll.
- Put 1tbsp of basil bechamel on top of eggplant before baking.
- Bring the pan to roast in the oven 170°C for 6 minutes.
- Take out the pan, drizzle oil on the eggplant roulade, put a tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with the other half of grated parmesan, garnish the dish with fresh basil, basil pesto then serve.